Tuesday 17 June 2008

Revision, Revision, Revision


I’m writing this after a disaster of an English exam. Anyway I’ve decided that the feature on Wakefield is going to be a continuous one so from now on there’s going to be a mix of bands from all over the place. I would say that updates have been slow because I’ve been knee-deep in revision but in all honesty I haven’t done much. Just before I get stuck into today’s new band I’ve just got to say I’m currently listening to the new Coldplay album, I’m not their biggest fan but I’m really enjoying it especially Lost!, Violet Hill and Viva La Vida.

Today I’m focusing on The Spills. They’re a Wakefield band and it’d be true to say that I’ve been doing exactly what their MySpace address states. You can see the local influence on the band, The Cribs being a primary example but beneath that there’s even deeper punk feel, possibly even a Nirvana-ry grunge element to the band.

If I had to recommend you one song of theirs to listen to it would be ‘Ghost of the Day’. It’s a mysterious epic. Guitars quietly jingle in the intro then after a minute of calm the roof comes tumbling down. Distortion turned up to the point it won’t turn anymore. The Spills have just announced they’re here and that they won’t be going anywhere soon.

They’re releasing a split EP with Piskie Sit’s which includes Reactions and Ghost of the Day I believe, named ‘Dogs Are Faithful, Cats Are Clever’. You can pick it up on Saturday and Escobar and the launch night where they’ll be playing, as will the amazing Dinosaur Pile-Up. Should be a cracker.

Get hold of: Ghost of the Day, Poor Health, Safety in Numbers