Saturday 9 August 2008

Looking Forward To

Late Of The Pier – Fantasy Black Channel

I’ve resisted the niggling temptation of downloading this for about a month as I just know this is going to be one cracking album and I physically want this beast in my hands before I lob it into the CD player. Thankfully it’s out on Monday so I haven’t got much more pain to endure. I’ll be honest it took me a while to get into LOTP, I went on their MySpace before all the hype began but nothing struck me. I went back to it a couple of times after all the raving reviews and ended up with Bathroom Gurgle on my mp3 player, still to be convinced. Then a few months later I saw the video for ‘The Bears Are Coming’ and hated it at first. I’m still not keen on it but when I heard ‘Space And The Woods’ I fell in love with the little Fockers. The last single ‘Heartbeat’ was another belter, I’m hoping the likes of the two previously mentioned and Focker haven’t been changed too much as they’re near perfect tracks. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the old Zarcorp Demo’s have evolved on the album and there are a couple of new tracks that I cannot wait to hear such as ‘The Enemy Are The Future’. Oh and Erol Alkan’s on the job which it makes it even more exiting.

Released: 11.08.08


Kings Of Leon – Only By The Night

Crawl. Sex On Fire. Wow. Just wow. Crawl was the first song that appeared online, the first little taster the Kings from over the pond. It’s a gritty distorted number with ‘You better learn to Crawl’ spat out throughout. It ends with guitars that sound like a classroom full of kids are scratching a blackboard with their nails. If that wasn’t enough to whet the appetite the epic Sex On Fire leaked. Caleb admitted that he was just messing about with phrases to accompany the hook and he came out with ‘this sex is on fiyeeeerrr’ which he didn’t like but the rest of the band did and it stuck. If the rest of the album is as up to scratch as the two tunes it’s going to be one brilliant album to accompany the other three.


Released: 22.09.08


Bromheads Jacket – TBC


Bromhead’s are a band that deserved to force their way into the indie mainstream after the release of the brilliant debut LP ‘Dits From The Commuter Belt’. Sadly it didn’t happen and they remain one of the most underrated bands in the country currently. Their raucous live shows alone should be enough to get them more recognition. Anyway, they’re back in September with their follow up and three brand new haircuts to compliment it. The titles yet to be confirmed by the band but is already being furiously debated on the official forum. Their first single from it ‘Speakerbox’ was released a couple of months ago. I’ll be blunt. It was awful. I couldn’t have been more disappointed when I first heard it after months without a Bromheads fix. It’s just over a minute and a half long which is a joke in itself for a single and has some odd organ playing throughout. It’s almost like most Tokyo Police Club’s songs where it’s just getting good then it ends. Thing is ‘Speakerbox’ doesn’t even start ‘getting good’. The B-side ‘Don’t Leave’ is a lot more like it and I’m hoping the album veers in this direction rather than going down the road of the A-side. Despite the abomination of ‘Speakerbox’ I’m still looking forward to it. I’m just hoping it can live up to the likes of ‘Poppy Bird’ and ‘One Nautical Mile’ on the debut. If it does it’ll be a stonker.

Released: 22.09.08